New car to make 4-peat a challenge

first_imgNot that talent won’t factor in. Bourdais has plenty. “We do not know who is going to be strong yet,” Bourdais said Thursday in between test runs at Laguna Seca. “It’s too early to say. Especially since we have had a pretty rough start with bad weather and reliability issues. “It’s definitely hard to know who is going to be strong for the first two races of the season. Our team put in enough hours and hopefully, it is going to be rewarded. But we don’t have the safety of mind, to say, ‘Hey, we’ve got the car that’s won the last three straight championships.’ The series opener is April 8 in Las Vegas. It continues April 15 in Long Beach. Things have not gone spectacularly during testing. In late January at Sebring International Raceway in Florida, it rained half the time. During testing in the middle of February in Houston, it was worse. “It Houston, it rained just horribly throughout the test,” driver Paul Tracy said. The consensus was, out of four days combined at Sebring and Houston, drivers got about 1 1/2 days of dry testing. SALINAS – Champ Car’s new ride could bring a new series champion. Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais is coming back to try and become the first driver to win four consecutive series titles. But with the arrival of the new vehicle that includes paddle shifters, a new chassis and a new exhaust system, the playing field has instantly become more even. center_img Not ideal conditions for the testing of a new vehicle. Drivers having difficulty downshifting with the new paddle shifters – located on the backside of the steering wheel – were among the complaints. There appears to be no question that the new vehicle is going to make it more difficult for Bourdais to four-peat. Almost everything on the car, except for the engine, is new. “The most important thing about the new car is it is specifically designed for the kind of races that we’ve got, like Long Beach,” said Kevin Kalkhoven, series co-owner and tri-owner of Team PKV Racing. “And it’s going to be an opportunity for all the teams to start off on the same footing. New additionBourdais races for the popular Newman/Haas Racing team, which, as of Thursday, became Newman/Haas/Lanigan. It was announced that Mike Lanigan had become partners with actor Paul Newman and Carl Haas, who started Newman/Haas in 1982. Newman, looking good at 82, walked into the media room with a twinkle in his eye. He sat at the dais, then told reporters why he and Haas decided to add Lanigan. What about Rahal? Newman/Haas/Lanigan, it appears, is on the verge of formally announcing that Graham Rahal will be its second driver. Newman seemed perplexed about not being able to confirm that Thursday. “Apparently, lawyers have to eat, too,” Newman said. “As far as I’m concerned, it was a done deal two weeks ago.” Rahal, a senior in high school, is 18. He took second place at the Atlantic Series last year and now has moved up to Champ Car. His father, Bobby Rahal, finished second four times at Long Beach and won several series titles. Cali. in the house Pacific Coast Motorsports of Oxnard is the only Champ Car team from California. It formally competed in Gramd Am but has moved up to Champ Car. The new team unveiled its two cars Thursday and also introduced its first Champ Car drivers in the names of rookies Alex Figge and Ryan Dalziel. Figge, of Colorado, and Dalziel, of Scotland, are former Grand Am and Atlantic Car racers. “To think that we could actually show up here and put a ‘W’ on the charts would be a pretty impressive thing, I think,” said team director Tyler Tadevic said. “We’re just glad to be here and to be perfectly honest, this is a long-term plan and to have our name said in the same sentences as Newman-Haas and Forsythe, it’s just a dream come true.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Grand Blue Mile To Be Part Of Bring Back The Mile Grand Prix

first_imgHeather Kampf, three-time Grand Blue Mile Champion, headlines the Tour as the reigning three-time Grand Prix Champion. Riley Masters, the 2016 Grand Prix Champion, took third at last year’s Grand Blue Mile. The current early bird registration rate is available until Mar. 6 is $15 for the Grand Blue Mile, $25 for the Drake Road Races 5k and $40 for the Drake Road Races Half Marathon. Grand Blue Mile Registration Participants this year can also register for the ‘Bulldog Double’ to participate in both the Grand Blue Mile and either the Drake Road Races 5k or Half Marathon. Those that complete the ‘Bulldog Double’ will receive a special ‘Spike’ or ‘Griff’ medal while all finishers receive a technical shirt and a finisher medal. Registration for the Drake Road Races also includes one paid admission to the Thursday, Apr. 27 Distance Carnival inside Drake Stadium and a discount ticket rate to Hy-Vee Night at the Drake Relays Friday, Apr. 28. DES MOINES, Iowa – The Bring Back the Mile Grand Prix Tour announced Thursday, Feb. 16, that the Wellmark Grand Blue Mile will serve as the opening leg of the Grand Prix Tour. Bring Back The Mile Grand Prix Tour Story Links Last year’s Grand Blue Mile drew more than 4,200 registrants who participated among the elite, competitive, recreational run/walk, and corporate team categories. The one-mile course loops through the streets of downtown Des Moines. Started in 2014, the Bring Back the Mile Grand Prix Tour is a national campaign to designed to elevate the presence of the mile in track and field. The Tour features five stops and more than $110,000 in guaranteed prize money. Outside of Des Moines, the Tour features stops in Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Duluth, Minn., and Washington D.C. This year’s Grand Blue Mile, set to take place on Apr. 25, also sees the return of the USA Track & Field 1 Mile Road Championships. The Grand Blue Mile last hosted the Championship in 2014 where Kampf set the course record of 4:32.62.   For more information on the Grand Blue Mile, visit www.GrandBlueMile.com Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more

St. James Parish Council to Embark on Series of Empowerment Fora

first_imgThe St. James Parish Council is to embark on a series of community empowerment fora in the 17 Parish Council Divisions, with the first to be held on Thursday, March 28, at the John’s Hall All Age School in Springmount.Mayor of Montego Bay, Councillor Glendon Harris, who made the announcement on March 27, while addressing a Social Development Commission (SDC) parish forum in Montego Bay, said the meetings are geared at informing citizens about ways to participate in the local governance process and “bringing the agencies of Government to the people”.“The people must know who are in charge of the agencies that serve their communities, they must be aware of our actions, and they must have a say in how we approach situations. We will answer to the people we serve,” he emphasized.Mr. Harris said the Parish Council has never ceased interacting with communities, and “we have always facilitated the coming together of people and those charged with delivering services to their communities.”He explained that meaningful solutions to community challenges exist, and can emanate from the SDC parish fora, as when communities share their experiences, other areas facing similar difficulties can be informed on ways to move ahead.Meanwhile, the Mayor pointed out that the Parish Council has opened another avenue for interaction and information sharing with its representatives and the citizens on the first Monday of each month at the Montego Bay Civic Centre.“We have introduced a Mayor in Parlour session, on the first Monday of each month. I sit at the Civic Centre from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., where persons can come and speak with the Mayor and other representatives of the Parish Council on whatever recommendations or problems that they might have,” Mr. Harris said.By Garfield L. Angus, JIS Reporterlast_img read more