Islamic StateThe Bangladeshi nationals, who went to Syria to fight for Islamic State (IS), may now return home as the militant group is about to be uprooted from the pockets in the civil war-torn Middle East country.In such a context, alerts have been issued at all airports, according to officials at Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC) unit of the police.”We guess, the Bangladeshis who went to Syria have planned to return home. Airports have been asked to remain alert about any possible situation,” CTTC unit chief Monirul Islam told Prothom Alo.He said airports have been provided with necessary information along with suspected militants’ photos so that they cannot avoid arrest and officials have been asked to ensure that.The CTTC unit chief said the militant suspects will require passports and travel documents to enter Bangladesh.However, he added, it is assumed that they lost passports immediately after joining the IS. In that case, they can contact Bangladesh embassy in Turkey and officials there have also been asked to take necessary steps.The police official could not confirm identity of those who are actually trying to return.The last stronghold of IS in Syria was reportedly lost on Saturday.Around 800 foreign militants were detained by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). The US has called for their trial in their respective home countries.The police officials said the government of Bangladesh has no intention to bring such militants back and try them.Sources in the law enforcement said they have confirmed that two Bangladeshi passport holders — Ibrahim Hasan Khan and his brother Zunayed Hasan Khan want to return. Their family lived in Saudi Arabia for long although these two brothers went to Syria via Dhaka. Before leaving Bangladesh, they lived in a house in Bashundhara residential area.It is learnt that physician Rokonuddin, who went to Syria along with his family, has been trying to return, officials said.Dhaka Shisu Hospital physician Rokonuddin along with his wife Naima Akhtar, daughter Ramita Rokon and Rewana Rokon and son-in-law Sad Kayes left the country to join the IS.According to the law enforcement agencies, a total of 40 Bangladeshi passport holders left the country to join the IS. It is believed that half of them died.Efforts are on to find out whereabouts of the rest, likely to be around 20 millitants.An official at the CTTC unit said some people possessing Bangladeshi passports may join the IS from other countries. At least one of such person has been detected. There are four to five Bangladeshis in Baghouz in eastern Syria where IS was defeated on Saturday. However, their fates are yet to be known.Kurdish news agency ANHA published a report on detainees captured by SDF in Syria last month. It quoted Bangladeshi physician Arafat Rahman Tushar who went to Syria from Bangladesh.”The Caliphate movement has come to an end. There is no trace of the caliph for whose call we went to Syria,” ANHA quoted Tushar as saying.Ishfaq Ilahi Chowdhury, a retired air commodore, said those, who went to Syria, denied identity of their state and showed allegiance to the IS. “They should not be brought back under any circumstance,” he said adding that they would not be allowed to be regrouped.Ilahi said it is true that IS was defeated in Syria, but there are some videos posted on social media where their activists and supporters are threatening to regroup.*This report, originally published in Prothom Alo print edition, has been rewritten in English by Rabiul Islam
Kolkata: West Bengal would try to prevail upon the GST Council for giving exemption to businesses having an annual turnover of up to Rs 50 lakh, the state’s Finance Minister Amit Mitra said today. At present, the exemption limit for GST is for businesses having an annual turnover of Rs 20 lakh or less. “Let the GST stabilise first. It has not yet stabilised as matching of invoices with vouchers was being done manually,” Mitra said at a meeting of garment manufacturers and traders here. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killed He said the implementation of the new tax regime was done in a hurry, and the GST network had not been able to upload the GSTR2 form online yet for matching vouchers with invoices done through the GSTR1 (already uploaded online). “The exemption limit can be raised gradually,” he said. Mitra also announced that requirement of e-way bills for workers within the state was no longer needed. This, he said, would apply to the garment manufacturers in West Bengal. Also Read – Naihati: 10 councillors return to TMC from BJP “The state government will help the industry (garment) to get more organised so that better margins are realised,” the minister said. Mitra said the state had already formed a JV with the National Institute of Design (NID) of Ahmedabad for a design centre in West Bengal, and efforts would be made for designing of textiles as well. He stressed upon the need for upgradation of the quality of garments and refrain from using ‘azo-dyes’, which bar the manufacturers from exporting to European countries.
A sleepover programme – designed to make kids believe that their favourite stuffed toys enjoy reading – can help encourage children to pick up more books, a new study suggests.Stuffed animal sleepover programmes are designed to get children interested in picture books. Children take their toys to a library for the night. At this point, staff and volunteers take photos of the animals exploring the library and reading together.The next day, the children collect their stuffed animals and the photos of what they did during the night. They are also given the books their animals chose to read. Researchers including those from Osaka Institute of Technology in Japan organised a “book-night party”, a typical stuffed animal sleepover programme for about 42 preschool children. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfThe children’s behaviour was observed on that day, after three days and one month later, to determine the effect and how long it lasts. It was found that before the sleepover the children did not spend time looking at the books in their play area at preschool.Immediately after the sleepover, the number of children who read to the stuffed animals was significantly higher than the number who did not, but after three days the effect had worn off. The researchers also tested an approach for sustaining the effect, they reminded the children of the sleepover a month later, by hiding the stuffed animals and showing them the photos again the next day. This simple method led to a significant increase in the number of children reading to their stuffed animals. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveThe study reveals for the first time that children who take part in stuffed animal sleepover programs read picture books to their stuffed animals significantly more. “We wanted to know if there really was an effect, and if so, how long it lasts,” said Yoshihiro Okazaki of Okayama University in Japan. “Surprisingly, not only did the children show interest in the picture books, but they also began to read to their stuffed animals,” said Okazaki.Reading is important for the development of children’s language skills and imagination. When parents read to their children, it is a passive form of reading for the child. However, when children read to their stuffed animals, it is a more of a self-directed form of reading, helping them develop into more active readers researchers said. The study was published in the journal Heliyon.
Kolkata: Police personnel were reportedly harassed and beaten by some local businessmen in Durgapur on Monday morning.Some vehicle drivers alleged that police personnel were involved in extortion. According to sources, on Monday morning, an Assistant Sub-Inspector along with a few civic volunteers were allegedly extorting money from vehicle drivers on the National Highway 2 near DVC Mor. While all the drivers reportedly met police personnel’s demand, one of the drivers left the spot without giving money to the cops. This angered police personnel. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataAccording to vehicle driver Sudhangshu Raut, police had demanded Rs 500 which he refused to give and left the spot. Following this, police gave him a chase. At Benachiti Bazar area, the police vehicle intercepted his vehicle and blocked its way. The accused Assistant Sub-Inspector allegedly held him by his caller and dragged him out of the vehicle and later he was beaten up. Situation took an ugly turn after local businessmen surrounded the police personnel. When police personnel asked them to leave, a few of the businesspersons heckled the police officer. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateSources informed, when the police officers were about to leave the place, some money accidentally fell from their pocket which was allegedly taken from the drivers. Local residents got furious. It is alleged that the Assistant Sub-Inspector and civic volunteers were physically assaulted. Later, local residents confined the police personnel and surrounded them. Durgapur A zone police out-post was informed about the situation. Upon receiving the information, police went to the spot and rescued the assaulted police personnel. Raut was taken to Durgapur Sub-Divisional Hospital. According to sources, an inquiry has been ordered in the case. Another case for allegedly assaulting on duty police personnel may be lodged against local residents.
With Android P expected to release sometime in August, Google released the beta 4 version of Android P. Android P Beta 4 is the last preview before the official launch of Android P platform. Android P beta 4 consists of a release candidate build with updates to final system behaviors and official Android P APIs. Android P is the next major release after Android Oreo released last year in August. With the Beta 4 version of Android P, Google has provided “everything” that developers need to wrap up their testing. There are different devices such as Google Pixel phones, Oppo R15 pro, Sony Xperia XZ2, etc, on which you can run the latest Android P beta 4. Here’s a look at key features that Android P will include. The latest release is available for users who have enrolled themselves in the Android Beta program. Android Beta program is necessary to start testing the update which delivers over-the-air (OTA) updates to its user base. With all the APIs and system behavior updates in Beta 4, we might not see any major changes between Android P beta 4 version and the official stable version of Android P. Android P Beta 4, for now, is available for Google Pixel devices, namely, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, and Pixel 2 XL. Pixel users can get Beta 4 on their phone by using the Factory images and OTA files carrying build PPP5.180610.010 to install the latest Android P Beta on their devices instantly. If you don’t want to install the latest beta version on your Pixel device then there is a new version provided by Google for Android Emulator where you can test out Beta 4. For more information on Android P Beta 4, check out the official documentation. Read Next Top 5 Google I/O 2018 conference Day 1 Highlights: Android P, Android Things, ARCore, ML kit and Lighthouse Google updates biometric authentication for Android P, introduces BiometricPrompt API
In compliance with the EU regulations set up when Google was fined $5 Million in July, for breaching EU antitrust laws, Google has made major changes to its licensing policy. Last week, Google filed its appeal against the Commission’s decision at the General Court of the European Union. While the appeal is pending, they have now informed the European Commission of the changes made in their policy. Read More: A quick look at E.U.’s antitrust case against Google’s Android Google is splitting the license for its standard apps from Chrome and the official search app. This means that if a company wants to use some of Google apps (Gmail and YouTube for instance) but also use other competing apps (Bing for search and Firefox for browsing), they can do so in the European Economic Area (EEA), albeit with an associated cost. Hiroshi Lockheimer, Senior Vice President, Platforms & Ecosystems, mentioned in the Google blog, “Since the pre-installation of Google Search and Chrome together with our other apps helped us fund the development and free distribution of Android, we will introduce a new paid licensing agreement for smartphones and tablets shipped into the EEA. He also points out that, “ Android will remain free and open source.” Google will also offer separate licenses to the Google Search app and to Chrome. They will also provide commercial agreements to partners for the non-exclusive pre-installation and placement of Google Search and Chrome, although Google noted that pre-installed competition was already possible. Android vendors in the EEA are also allowed to make forked versions of Android while still distributing Google apps. All the licensing changes will be effective for devices launched after October 29th. It is also likely that companies in Europe that would have to pay for Google apps, may pass the licensing fee to consumers in the form of higher device prices. Lockheimer added that they will continue with their commitment to the Android ecosystem saying, “We’ll be working closely with our Android partners in the coming weeks and months to transition to the new agreements. And of course, we remain deeply committed to continued innovation for the Android ecosystem.” Read the official announcement on the Google blog. Read Next OK Google, why are you ok with mut(at)ing your ethos for Project DragonFly? Google takes steps towards better security, introduces new API policies for 3rd parties and a Titan Security system for mobile devices. Google reveals an undisclosed bug that left 500K Google+ accounts vulnerable in early 2018; plans to sunset Google+ consumer version
Tags: Departures, VISIT FLORIDA << Previous PostNext Post >> VISIT FLORIDA’s Ken Lawson is leaving his role as CEO Share Tuesday, December 18, 2018 TALLAHASSEE — VISIT FLORIDA’s Ken Lawson is leaving his role as CEO in January to take over the reins of the state’s Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO).As the new Executive Director, Lawson will serve under Governor-elect Ron DeSantis’ administration, and is tasked with helping the state “continue to be an economic powerhouse” and “bringing new businesses to Florida and creating jobs for Floridians,” said DeSantis.As VISIT FLORIDA’s president and CEO, Lawson led Florida’s official destination marketing organization in partnership with its Board of Directors and the statewide tourism industry. According to DeSantis, while under Lawson’s leadership, the state was able to create more than 1.6 million private-sector jobs and set new visitation records.VISIT FLORIDA said it is just beginning a search for Lawson’s successor. An interim CEO has yet to be named.Lawson first joined VISIT FLORIDA in January 2017 following a unanimous vote of its Board of Directors. His appointment came after the resignation of three Visit Florida executives in the wake of the Pitbull scandal, which resulted in outgoing Governor Rick Scott calling for the resignation of Lawson’s predecessor, Will Seccombe. Travelweek Group Posted by