BARCELONA, Spain:Having sold over 100 million smart phones last year, Chinese-based cell phone giants Huawei remains confident its partnership with Lionel Messi will now lead its organisation to the top of global phone sales soon. Messi is a five-time Ballon d’Or/FIFA World Player of the year winner and as the first player to achieve that historic feat, many consider him one of the all time football greats.Messi, who represents Spanish club Barcelona was recently named global brand ambassador for Huawei during a press conference held in the city.With Messi being born in Rosario Argentina in the same year as Huawei’s inception in 1987, the organisation has labelled the partnership as a “perfect fit”.long-term partnership”We are seeking a long term partnership. He is a win-win, look to see Huawei and Messi in the future,” Kevin Ho, president, Handset Business, Huawei Consumer BG said.The Messi and Huawei partnership is over a three year period, but no official figure was released on how much it will cost the Asian brand.Huawei is also the official Smart phone partner of London-based English football club Arsenal. It is set to launch their new P9 smart phone in London on April 6.Despite Huawei’s global sales last year, it remains one of the three top smart phone vendors in the world, behind Apple and Samsung.They, however, lead the Asian market by beating Xiaomi, Lenovo, Apple and Samsung to become the top smart phone vendor.The company hopes Messi can help raise its brand awareness in markets it has been making inroads in like Latin America, Asia and Europe where football enjoys a cult-like following.Meanwhile, according to Ho, five reasons which make Huawei devices stand out from others are, “design, craftsmanship, user experience, long battery life and excellent camera quality”.He stressed that Huawei is happy to be a sponsor of the Digicel Rising Star in Jamaica.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will soon have offices countrywide. This was disclosed by its Executive Director, Dr Vincent Adams. He made the announcement at the close of the EPA workshops that targeted Community Forest Operators (CFOs).Executive Director of EPA, Dr Vincent Adams and Minister of State, Dawn Hastings-Williams surrounded by senior officers of the EPA, EU, GFC and the FAOAccording to the Department of Public Information, the workshops were aimed at enlightening CFOs on the need to have an Environmental Authorisation before any forest activity. This was done in collaboration with the European Union/ Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (EU/FLEGT) and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).During the exercise, 12 workshops were held in eight regions, except Regions 5 and 8, as these do not have any registered CFOs. 319 participants represented 48 of 69 registered CFOs.While the workshops were deemed a success, Dr Adams said that many persons are limited from applying for an Environmental Authorisation owing to Guyana’s geographic set-up. To address the issue, he said that the EPA is taking a two-pronged approach to access to the EPA.“The Agency will approach EU and the FAO for the second phase of this project to allow the Agency to meet operators and provide similar services offered at the central office in Georgetown for them to become authorised. So, instead of operators coming to the Agency, the Agency will go to them… For the longer and sustainable term, the Agency will continue to aggressively pursue its goal of establishing an office presence in every region of the country by the end of 2020,” he is quoted by DPI as saying.Dr Adams added that as a result of the workshops, “the Agency received applications for an environmental permit from five CFOs. A clear indication that this project has resulted in CFOs now willing to apply for Environmental Authorisation after their capacities were built through this training”.Minister of State, Dawn Hastings-Williams said that Guyana has recognised that its forests must be protected and effectively managed. This, she noted, can only be achieved if everyone is in compliance with the Environment Authorisation.According to the Minister, economic diversification is critical. She challenged the forest operators to be innovative and creative.
– Salah, Egypt out –Following all the excitement surrounding their first appearance at the finals since 1990, the Pharaohs have been knocked out already after just a week of competition.Hector Cuper’s side have been hampered by Mohamed Salah coming into the tournament with a shoulder injury.He played no part in the 1-0 defeat against Uruguay in Yekaterinburg.Mohamed Salah (L) and Egypt endured a difficult night against Russia and are already staring at the World Cup exit door © AFP / Giuseppe CACACEOn Tuesday, Salah was back but unable to prevent Egypt from losing 3-1 to Russia in Saint Petersburg, his late penalty proving a mere consolation.“It is very difficult to know what would have happened (had he not been injured) but we know the quality he has,” said Cuper.Egypt have still never won a match at the World Cup in six attempts. Only Honduras (nine) have played more games at the finals without a single victory.– Morocco eliminated –Herve Renard’s Morocco did not concede a single goal in their final qualifying group. But scoring goals has been their big problem in Russia.Despite two encouraging displays against Iran and Portugal, the Atlas Lions have no goals, no points and are guaranteed to make a group-stage exit.Morocco now know they will be going home at the end of the group phase after two defeats in their first two outings © AFP / Kirill KUDRYAVTSEVIt took a late own-goal from Aziz Bouhaddouz to condemn them to a 1-0 defeat against Iran in their opener.On Wednesday, Cristiano Ronaldo’s early header gave Portugal a 1-0 victory in Moscow and Morocco’s second-half onslaught was in vain.But despite being the first nation to be knocked out, the hope will be that this can be a learning curve for their talented younger players.“We qualified for a World Cup after 20 years of absence and we showed that we can play football,” said Renard.– ‘Naive’ Nigeria –Gernot Rohr’s Super Eagles were poor as they started their campaign with a 2-0 defeat against Croatia in Kaliningrad in a difficult group.Nigeria’s teenage goalkeeper Francis Uzoho comes to claim the ball during his side’s defeat at the hands of Croatia © AFP / Attila KISBENEDEKOghenekaro Etebo’s own-goal and a Luka Modric penalty did for a Nigerian team almost unrecognisable from that beaten by France in the last 16 four years ago.Epitomising this youthful side was Francis Uzoho, who at 19 years and seven months became the second-youngest goalkeeper to play in a World Cup.“Sometimes we were a little bit naive on set pieces but we will work on it,” said Rohr, whose team face Iceland next, then Argentina.– Tough on Tunisia –Tunisia coach Nabil Maaloul had confidently asserted before the World Cup that his side would qualify from a group also containing Belgium and England and they almost held Gareth Southgate’s side to a draw in Volgograd in their opening game.They recovered from conceding an early goal and losing goalkeeper Mouez Hassen to injury, equalising courtesy of a Ferjani Sassi penalty.Tunisia goalkeeper Mouez Hassen comes off against England, his World Cup already over © AFP / Mark RALSTONHowever, Harry Kane’s late strike saw the north African side lose 2-1, and they have now gone 12 World Cup games without winning since beating Mexico in 1978.Only Bulgaria (17 games) have endured a longer drought, and it is hard to see them ending their run when they play Belgium next, with Hassen out of the rest of their campaign.– Senegal dream of 2002 repeat –Having seen their fellow Africans toil, Senegal did their bit by battling to a 2-1 win over Poland on Tuesday in Group H.Sadio Mane was seen as the man dangerman, but it was the pace of Mbaye Niang, and a mistake by Poland goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny, that clinched it for Senegal after Thiago Cionek’s own goal put them ahead.The Lions of Teranga are now dreaming of a repeat of their run to the quarter-finals in 2002.“Of course we represent our country but I can also guarantee that the whole of Africa is supporting us,” said impressive Senegal coach Aliou Cisse.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Senegal players go to celebrate with Mbaye Niang after he got what proved to be their winner against Poland © AFP / Alexander NEMENOVSOCHI, Russian Federation, Jun 20 – Senegal are proving to be Africa’s saving grace at the World Cup. Their win over Poland on Tuesday was a rare bright moment among six defeats out of six for the continent’s other representatives in Russia.After Nigeria and Algeria both reached the knockout phase four years ago, following Ghana’s run to the quarter-finals in 2010, it is looking like 2018 will be a step backwards for Africa on the biggest stage. Two of their teams are already eliminated.