Xi speaks with Jokowi over phone, says China will ‘win’ battle against coronavirus

first_imgXi also conveyed his appreciation for the trust and understanding extended by his Indonesian colleagues, saying that his recent conversation with Jokowi was a reflection of the robust bilateral relationship between China and Indonesia as comprehensive strategic partners.Jokowi reportedly expressed his sympathies to China on behalf of Indonesia during the phone call.COVID-19, linked to a wet market in the Chinese city of Wuhan, has infected more than 45,000 people since it was first reported early this year with a death toll of more than 1,100 people as of Wednesday.The Indonesian government has imposed a travel ban to and from mainland China since Feb. 5 as well as temporary halt in live animal imports from the country in an effort to prevent the deadly virus from spreading to the archipelago .However, Chinese Ambassador to Indonesia Xiao Qian objected to the travel ban as he claimed such a move would likely have a negative impact on the global economy.“In this situation, we need to be calm. Don’t overreact and cause a negative impact on investment and the economy,” he told reporters last week.As of Wednesday, there have been no confirmed COVID-19 cases in Indonesia.(rfa)Topics : Chinese President Xi Jinping told  President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo that the Chinese government was confident it would “win” the battle against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in a phone call on Tuesday night.As reported by Xinhua news agency, Xi said containing the outbreak was the government’s top priority, as evidenced by its commitment to implementing “the most rigorous and thorough prevention and control measures”. #BREAKING: Chinese President Xi Jinping speaks over phone with his Indonesian counterpart Joko Widodo, expressing confidence in a full victory in the fight against the novel #coronavirus pneumonia epidemic and achieving goals and tasks of economic and social development pic.twitter.com/QUSdNRTPnZ— China Xinhua News (@XHNews) February 11, 2020He went on to say that China would continue to bolster its cooperation on the mitigation of the deadly viral outbreak with Indonesia and other countries to ensure public health safety.last_img read more

Trojans gear up for SoCal Intercollegiates

first_imgThe No. 1 USC men’s tennis team has already laid claim to two individual singles titles this year. Now USC coach Peter Smith hopes that one of the team’s younger players can capture another one as the fall tournament season nears its end.Five USC underclassmen will have that chance as they travel to the 55th Southern California Intercollegiate Championships at the Los Angeles Tennis Center in Westwood, which begins today.Off and running · Sophomore Emilio Gomez is one of several Trojans representing USC over the course of the five-day tournament in Westwood. – Mindy Curtis | Daily Trojan Sophomore No. 66 Emilio Gomez and freshmen Eric Johnson, Jonny Wang and Yannick Hanfmann will represent the Trojans in a 32-player singles main draw beginning Thursday, while sophomore Corey Smith will begin the competition in the singles qualifying draw today.“I’d love to see one of them win this UCLA tournament,” Smith said. “Of all the tournaments we’ve played, winning a majority of those would be special.”Following a run to the semifinals of the International Tennis Association Southwest Regionals in Malibu two weeks ago, Hanfmann holds the No. 1 seed in the competition. Gomez stands on the opposite side of the bracket with the No. 2 seed.The players look to follow up the success of USC alumnus Jaak Poldma, who captured the singles title at the five-day competition last year.Gomez boasts a 10-1 record in preseason singles along with a singles title from the Battle in the Bay Classic in San Francisco in October. He hopes to bounce back after his first loss in the round of 16 at the ITA Southwest Regionals.“I’ve been practicing a lot with coaches, and I think we’ve been improving a lot the past couple of weeks,” Gomez said.USC will also send two pairs to play in the doubles draw. Gomez and Hanfmann hold the tournament’s No. 1 seed, while Johnson and Wang will pair up together in the 16-team bracket.“We played doubles a few times during [the Harvard Invitational], and we played pretty well,” Gomez said.Along with Gomez’s success in the fall, the freshman trio of Hanfmann, Johnson and Wang has also shown its capability throughout multiple tournaments this year, and the rest of the team has noted the newcomers’ efforts.“They’ve done a lot and done well at regionals,” senior Daniel Nguyen said. “I think they’re definitely maturing more and getting used to college tennis.”With the younger core of USC men’s tennis attaining experience and success early in fall tournaments, the coaching staff believes the team has a lot of promise to succeed once the spring season begins.“The team knows we got to keep working, and we got a long way to go,” Smith said. “But we have a great team, so I’d just love to see these guys have individual glory in the fall.”last_img read more