Corentyne fire leaves one homeless

first_imgA fire on Thursday ravaged the home of 72-year-old Norbee Khan at Lot 633 Number 1 Village Corentyne, completely destroying most, if not all, of her belongings, and leaving her homeless.The septuagenarian, who is also a pensioner, used to operate a small business on the premises. She says she will now have to start anew following the incident.Norbee Khan recalled being alerted to the fire by a neighbour, and managing to save only a bag with a few important items.Her son Wasir Khan, who moved out of the house a few months ago, said whenThe house that was destroyed by the fire on Thursdayhe arrived on scene the building was already engulfed.“I saw the fire was upstairs and I try to save the downstairs, but I couldn’t save the downstairs, because the fire was too much,” he lamented.He blames the Guyana Power and Light for the disaster, which he believes was electrical in nature.“There was a blackout, and when the current come on there was a sparking at the front, and then it run through and went to the back where all the fuses and everything (are) and then (the fire) start from the back room,” the man related.Residents have been very critical of the reaction time of the Guyana Fire Service72-year-old Norbee Khan(GFS), saying that when the GFS arrived on scene, the building was almost destroyed.Station Officer Clive McDonald, who is in charge on the New Amsterdam Fire Station and is the second in command of the GFS Berbice Division, explained that his officers had been misdirected. McDonald said that when the GFS had received new direction, a unit from the Rose Hall Town Fire Department was dispatched, and when it arrived on scene, the building was already engulfed.“Immediately the crew went into operation to stop fire spread and control the fire, working from the tank supply”, he said. He acknowledged the presence of a unit from the Albion Sugar Estate when his men would have arrived on the scene, and noted that the initial crew had been able to prevent the blaze from spreading.last_img read more

Atletico ‘fed up’ over Barca’s pursuit of Griezmann

first_imgThe Atletico CEO said the club’s stance was very clear.“Not once have we negotiated for Griezmann nor do we have any intention to do so,” he said in a statement issued on the team’s official website.“A few months ago, I personally expressed to Barcelona’s president that our player isn’t for sale nor are we going to sell him,” he continued.“At the same time, I let him know that his inappropriate conduct was against the integrity of the competition…”The uncertainty over Griezmann’s future could not have come at a worse time for Atletico as they prepare for next week’s Europa League final against Marseille.Marin added: “We’re fed up with Barcelona’s attitude.“That a president, player and a board member speak the way they’ve done about the future of a player with an existing contract and just a few days before disputing a European final, is an absolute lack of respect towards Atletico.”He said Atletico would be demanding compensation from Barcelnoa should “the player exercised his right to nullify his contract due to their pressure throughout the season”.He finished off by declaring “enough is enough. I hope this statement serves its purpose and that us Atletico fans can enjoy this moment and prepare ourselves for a final like we should.”Marin’s plea followed a report by Cadena Cope radio station that “Barcelona have told Atletico Madrid they are going to pay Antonie Griezmann’s get out clause. And Atletico know the player will be leaving at the end of the season”.That came after Atletico president Enrique Cerezo refused to clarify Griezmann’s future after domestic media suggested Cerezo had met the player for dinner in a bid to persuade the Frenchman to stay at Atletico, with the promise of a bumper new contract.Cerezo has denied meeting Griezmann for talks but the Atletico president was also not definitive on the 27-year-old’s future.“I can tell you one thing: Antoine Griezmann is an Atletico Madrid player as of today,” Cerezo said.“I cannot tell you anything else because I do not know anything else.”Barca were forced in January to deny publicly they had agreed a deal to sign Griezmann, who has indicated he wants his future resolved before the start of the World Cup.Barca coach Ernesto Valverde on Tuesday described Griezmann as a “great player”.“But we have to be very cautious about saying anything about a player that is not ours and making sure we respect our rivals,” he added.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Antoine Griezmann has scored 27 goals for Atletico Madrid in all competitions this season © AFP / GABRIEL BOUYSMADRID, Spain, May 8 – Atletico Madrid chief Miguel Angel Gil Marin attacked Barcelona on Tuesday over their pursuit of highly-prized striker Antoine Griezmann, saying he was “fed up” with the Catalan club’s attitude.Marin issued his strongly worded rebuke hours after a Spanish radio station reported that Barcelona were poised to pay the French international’s 100 million-euro release clause.last_img read more

Riding the rails a family affair

first_imgIn 1976, Tom Smith, a longtime locomotive enthusiast, rode an Amtrak train from Delaware to Chicago, mainly to absorb the sights along the way. The most consequential sight, however, was already inside the train — his future wife, Karen Smith.“I looked across the aisle and she was right there,” Smith said. “I asked her on a date, and here we are, in a nutshell.”The Smiths were some of the more than 100 people aboard a 1941 Alco diesel train as it chugged about seven miles along the Chelatchie Prairie Railroad south from Yacolt Station, 207 Railroad Ave., to the Heisson area. The annual Father’s Day ride — one of four throughout the weekend — typically involves a 1929 steam train. But the nonprofit organization that hosts excursions on the railroad hit a snag as it awaits a permit from the Federal Railroad Administration to operate steam engines, volunteers said.Tom Smith, now 73, of Camas, said his love of trains formed at a young age, when he could hear them passing his Delaware home. He worked as a freight conductor with Union Pacific Railroad for roughly 20 years, has been on a train in every state but Hawaii and even had his honeymoon on a locomotive.The couple’s son, Allen Smith, 36, sat next to his parents on the train Sunday along with his wife, Ruth Smith, 37, and three young children. Allen Smith, who also spent his honeymoon on a train, is part of a Lego train club in Portland.last_img read more