City officials break ground on new library in San Ysidro

first_img KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — City officials broke ground Friday on a library in San Ysidro, following more than two decades of discussion and planning.The 15,000-square-foot library will be built at Seaward Avenue and Beyer Boulevard at a cost of $13.5 million. It will replace the existing branch library in the city’s southernmost neighborhood. At nearly a century old, the existing library is the city’s oldest, according to the mayor’s office.“This is all about opening doors to opportunity and a brighter future,” Mayor Kevin Faulconer said. “This new branch library has been a long time coming for the San Ysidro community and represents One San Diego in action. It’s going to be more than just a place to check out a book. It’s going to be a place where the community gathers and where neighborhood children can learn and grow.”The building will be LEED Silver certified and feature amenities such as an outdoor reading patio and movie screen, public art, a teen center, study areas, computer lab, multi-purpose room and accommodations for those with disabilities.Councilman David Alvarez, who represents San Ysidro, spearheaded fundraising efforts for the library, which is expected to open in 2019, the mayor said.Alvarez said building a new library was one of his top priorities upon being elected.“I was proud to work with the community to secure the site and funding for this long-awaited project,” he said.The city purchased land for the library in 2015 and will contribute $12 million to the project. The San Diego Library Foundation has launched a campaign to raise $250,000 for the project and philanthropists and former San Ysidro residents Lloyd and Caroline de Llamas contributed $1.5 million, according to the mayor’s office. KUSI Newsroom City officials break ground on new library in San Ysidro Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: January 12, 2018 January 12, 2018last_img read more

SEC commissioner isnt exactly pleased with settlement over Elon Musk tweets

first_img Car Industry 50 Photos Review • Tesla Model 3 Review: Performance trim Tags Elon Musk Preview • 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance: The future, quicker Enlarge ImageElon Musk appeared pretty happy after leaving federal court in April, even though he’s still subject to oversight on some potential tweet material. Spencer Platt/Getty Images Elon Musk and the US Securities and Exchange Commission may have finally quashed their beef, with Musk avoiding a contempt charge, but that doesn’t mean every SEC commissioner is on board with the final deal.Musk and the SEC reached an agreement Friday over what public statements require legal oversight before posting. Yet, a statement from SEC commissioner Robert Jackson shows that there is some dissent within the group’s ranks.”Given Mr. Musk’s conduct, I cannot support a settlement in which he does not admit what is crystal clear to anyone who has followed this bizarre series of events: Mr. Musk breached the agreement he made last year with the Commission — and with American investors,” Jackson said Tuesday in a statement.The settlement, which was publicized shortly after both parties asked a federal judge for an extension in negotiations, added clearer and more enforceable language regarding what Musk can and can’t tweet without requiring the green light from a securities lawyer. The agreement, which can be read in full below, forbids Musk from oversight-free public comments (read: tweets) about production or delivery numbers, comments on the company’s financial health, new lines of business unrelated to current lines of business and more. Musk first ended up in hot water with the SEC after his infamous “funding secured” tweet, in which he claimed Tesla had secured the dough to go private at $420 per share. That never happened, and the SEC eventually filed a lawsuit against Musk, alleging securities fraud. That happened late in 2018, but Musk again found himself in the SEC’s crosshairs in early 2019, after the SEC alleged a couple tweets about production numbers were enough for a contempt charge. Last week’s settlement means Musk has avoided the charge, but that doesn’t mean the SEC won’t keep a watchful eye on his Twitter account for a long time to come. 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better Post a comment 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Tesla Model 3 barrels through the snow in Track Mode More From Roadshow 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous 0 Tesla Share your voice More about 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performancelast_img read more

BCL threats force proquota reforms teacher to leave campus

first_imgbclAn assistant professor of Chittagong University has left the campus in the face of threats from Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) following his posts on Facebook in favour of quota reforms.Md Maidul Islam, a faculty member of the university’s sociology department, told Prothom Alo that he was living with his family on campus.He said he left the campus on Monday in face of the BCL threats.Kh Ali Ar Raji, an assistant professor of the communication and journalism department, also came under wrath of the ruling party’s student wing for his support to the teacher.BCL has already sent a memorandum to the vice-chancellor of the university Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury, demanding dismissal of two teachers from the university.Incidentally, BCL has no university committee on campus since 6 December last year when it was dissolved.Maidul Islam has been writing in favour of quota reforms for last few days on the social media platform. He recently shared a photo of teachers who came under BCL attack in Dhaka.Following the Facebook post, a group of BCL leaders and activists ranging 15 to 20 went to the sociology department’s chairman SM Monirul Islam and pressed complaints against Maidul.When the BCL men started creating chaos in his room, the chairman assured them he would look into the matter.The BCL leaders also posted a photo of Maidul on Facebook and threated  him. Another teacher Kh Ali also said he feels unsafe on the campus. “I can’t move around easily on the campus.” Kh Ali said he will continue to fight against those who will try to curtail the teachers’ freedom of speech.Asked about the matter, former president of the university’s BCL unit (now dissolved) Alamgir Tipu said, “There is no problem here centring quota reform movement. Two teachers are trying to heat up the campus by posting comments on Facebook. They even mocked the government. If they continue to do so, we will first protest and prevent it.”Neither vice-chancellor Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury nor pro-vice chancellor Shirin Aktar answered when attempts were made to call them over phone.Proctor Mohammad Ali Asgar Chowdhury said he has no information about the matter.“No teacher has complained as yet. Once they complain, we will investigate the matter.”Meanwhile, a student of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU) was suspended from the campus for posting comments on Facebook in favour of quota reforms.last_img read more