Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson New Orleans made 20 of 37 shots in the second half, when they led by as many as 30 points.New Orleans outrebounded San Antonio 45-39 and outscored the Spurs 50-36 in the paint. LATEST STORIES San Antonio Spurs forward LaMarcus Aldridge (12) works against New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis (23) in the first half of an NBA basketball game in New Orleans, Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2017. (AP Photo/Scott Threlkeld)NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana—Anthony Davis had 29 points and 11 rebounds, Demarcus Cousins added 24 points and 15 rebounds, and the New Orleans Pelicans beat the San Antonio Spurs 107-90 on Wednesday night.Jrue Holiday scored 13 points and Darius Miller chipped in 13 on four 3-pointers for the Pelicans, who’ve won two straight.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Pau Gasol had 17 points and LaMarcus Aldridge 16 in a largely frustrating night for San Antonio. The Spurs shot only 39.8 percent (35 of 88) and went 6 of 24 from 3-point range.Rudy Gay added 19 for the Spurs, who raced to a lead as large as 15 points in the first quarter, but trailed 50-42 at halftime after the Pelicans surged ahead for good with a 15-2 run.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBack on the throneDavis had six points during the spurt, which began with his jumper and included his alley-oop dunk.The Pelicans then blew the game open by closing the third quarter with a 26-6 run fueled largely by Davis, who scored 12 of his points in the third quarter and also had a steal to set up one of Miller’s 3s. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Trevor Ariza has 25 points, Rockets beat Nuggets Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene
Mr. Sumo and his son at the front of their burnt house.The morning hours of Wednesday, December 12, saw a family near a car parking lot in 72nd Army Camp Field watch their two bedroom house being consumed by fire as no one appeared to help put the fire out. Everything in the house is said to have been burned.Mr. James K.G. Sumo and his spouse Esther Taylor were away when the fire gutted the house, which is believed to have been locked at all ends.Sumo told the Daily Observer he received a phone call at about 9:40 a.m., informing him about the house being gutted by fire while he was at work in Firestone, Margibi County.“After the first call in a little over two minutes, I received another call not only confirming that fire had truly gutted my house, but that it had, in totality, engulfed the entire building; there had been no hope to retrieve anything,” he said.Sumo, who works with the new development (nursery department) of Firestone as a contractor, said upon receiving the information about the fire disaster at his home, he immediately assumed that there must have been an electrical shock, since his house is connected to power supplied by the Liberia Electricity Corporation (LEC).House demolished by fire in 72nd, allegedly due to electrical fault“I cannot say exactly the real cause of the fire incident, but I think the breaker (current regulator) must have been left on by anyone in the house,” he assumed.Sumo said he is heart-broken by the incident, but he is grateful to God that no one died or sustained wounds amid the fire disaster.Even though Sumo could not tell exactly what the total cost of his loss was, he said a lot of materials, including a refrigerator, television, clothes, money (both U.S. and Liberian dollars) were in the house when it got burned.“Not even a pin was taken out of that house. The total cost of the damage, excluding the house, could be put at US$4,500,” he said.He appealed to well meaning Liberians to lend him a hand of support as he has moved his family to the home of his elder sister where they sleep in the sitting room.For Sumo’s wife, Esther Taylor, she was in Red Light attending to her business when she received a phone call informing her that her house was on fire.“I am a market woman. I have lost L$292,000 and US$500 to the fire. I brought the money home just a day ago so I could exchange it for U.S. dollars to send for my goods from the Ivory Coast,” Madam Taylor said.She said she sells pepper and ground nuts (peanuts) in Red Light.The victims are meanwhile calling on philanthropists, particularly their district lawmaker Representative Thomas P. Fallah, to help them resettle their lives.The couple said anyone wishing to assist them can call 0886749125 or 0776179706.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
McIntyre exploited a combination of anti-immigration sentiment and the nation’s fear of Islamic terrorists to “create a racist fury against Latino school children, teachers, administrators and staff at the school,” according to the lawsuit. Among other remarks to his listeners, McIntyre said “Is this a reconquista school?”; “This school is ranked the lowest of the low in the LAUSD and in the state of California”; and “Aztecs butchered and ate Spanish invaders. I wonder if they’re teaching that at ASDP,” according to the lawsuit. McIntyre said Aguilar’s job was to “keep his school, his madrasa school, open so they can train the next generation of Aztec revolutionaries,” according to the lawsuit. The radio host also used “code words” aimed at a target audience to rile up listeners and create a backlash against the school and Aguilar, the plaintiffs allege. As a result, they say, the school received many threats of violence, including a bomb threat that caused an evacuation of the campus. In a declaration submitted to the court on Oct. 15, McIntyre said he found the bomb threat against the school deplorable and offered $1,000 of his own money as a reward for bringing the perpetrator to justice. “That offer remains standing today,” McIntyre’s declaration states. McIntyre also denied his use of the word “madrasa” was meant to insinuate that the school was teaching students jihadist philosophy or instructing them how they could become revolutionaries. Although Aguilar appeared on other KABC radio shows, he refused to be interviewed by McIntyre, according to the broadcaster. Meanwhile, a man who aimed his car at KABC radio reporter Sandy Wells and snatched the newsman’s audiotape as he tried to interview parents and others outside the school on June 1, 2006, was sentenced in May to three years probation. Ramon Flores also was ordered to pay $174 to Wells — who jumped out of the way of the speeding sedan and escaped injury — and complete 400 hours of service on a Caltrans crew. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A judge today tentatively dismissed a lawsuit brought by a Los Angeles charter campus against KABC-AM and its morning host, alleging he led an on-air, racist campaign against the school that led to a bomb scare. Academia Semillas Del Pueblo and its principal director of operations, Marcos Aguilar, filed the lawsuit May 17 in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging slander and civil rights violations. Superior Court Judge Ralph W. Dau stated in a written ruling that the remarks made by “McIntyre in the Morning” host Doug McIntyre were opinion and not a “command to imminent violence or other lawless action.” After hearing arguments this morning from the attorneys concerning his ruling, Dau said he was taking the case under submission. He did not give a date for a final ruling. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Aguilar attended the hearing, but McIntyre, whose program airs from 5-9 a.m. daily, was not present. Outside the courtroom, Daniel J. Bramzon, a lawyer for Aguilar and the school, contended that regardless of the final decision, Aguilar has made “a David and Goliath stand against hate speech.” James J. Moneer, another attorney for Aguilar and the school, argued the statute being used by the radio station and McIntyre to try and get the suit thrown out was never intended to protect the statements made by the veteran broadcaster. However, Seth D. Berlin, a lawyer for the station and McIntyre, said McIntyre’s show is not a hard-news broadcast, but one in which he freely gives his opinions on social issues of the day. Often those views are expressed through satire and rhetorical flourish, he told the judge. The lawsuit alleges McIntyre began criticizing various aspects of the school in May 2006, including its funding, curriculum, demographics, administrators and educational statistics, all in order to increase his show’s ratings.