By Kenneth JacksonAPTN National NewsThe office of Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan is calling the on-going blockade of a CN rail line in Sarnia a “legal matter” that needs to be dealt with by the community while the mayor says it’s very much a federal government problem that needs to be addressed by Ottawa.The comment was made Friday afternoon during a meeting between a CN official, Sarnia police, Mayor Mike Bradley, Conservative MP Pat Davidson for Sarnia and members of the Aamjiwnaang First Nation band council. A staff member of Duncan’s office called in to the meeting.Bradley said the “legal” comment immediately triggered memories of Ipperwash where a stand-off of a provincial park in 1995 resulted in the death of protestor Dudley George. The Stoney Point First Nation occupied the park to take claim of the Ipperwash park that had been expropriated by the military during the Second World War. Ipperwash is less than 60 km from downtown Sarnia.“That brought a strong response from the band council members saying that’s the same thing we heard in Ontario during Ipperwash. I don’t think it particularly impressed the band members,” said Bradley in an interview late Friday with APTN National News.By calling it a legal matter Bradley believes the feds are “washing their hands” of something they need to resolve.The blockade entered its ninth day Saturday, a day after CN Rail received an indefinite court injunction to have the protestors removed from the spur line that serves various factories, including those that provide propane across Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.The protestors say they won’t budge until there is a meeting between Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the Governor General and First Nations leaders to discuss what they say is the erosion of treaty rights. It’s the same demand made by Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence who has been on a hunger strike since Dec. 11. She’s vowing to not eat until the meeting happens. She never insisted on a face-to-face with Harper despite media stories suggesting otherwise.The court injunction calls for Sarnia police to end the blockade immediately but they have said they won’t move in on the demonstration and prefer to negotiate a peaceful end to it.CN has called the blockade illegal and is pressuring the Sarnia police and Bradley to put a stop to it. Bradley said discussions between him and a senior CN official have been heated.Bradley said he believes CN has the power to arrest the blockade protestors but doesn’t want to get its “hands dirty.”At the meeting CN said they would write a letter to Harper urging him to help resolve the issues. Conservative MP Davidson said she would also write a letter, said Bradley. Davidson didn’t respond to an email request.Another meeting took place Saturday where the band council said they would engage the protesters within the next day. It was not immediately clear what that means, but up until this point the council hasn’t said what side they are on. Letters by CN and Davidson were written and given to the band council, Bradley confirmed. The letters say the blockade iscausing distress in the community and a solution would be for Duncan to meet with Spence and go to her. Spence has turned down meetings with Duncan.Chief Christopher Plain didn’t answer calls to his mobile phone.Ron Plain, spokesman of the blockade, said CN has also issued papers to sue the protesters for lost revenue. APTN reported that on Christmas Eve.Plain has said he doesn’t believe the council backs the firstname.lastname@example.org@afixedaddress
Tesla 10:51 The long-awaited, $35,000 Tesla Model 3 is now available to order online. Tesla announced its base Model 3 variant on Thursday, which will feature a single electric motor, standard interior and an estimated range of 220 miles.But what else does $35,000 before incentives get you, exactly? To start, the “standard interior” offers heated, cloth seats with manual adjustment. You’ll also get “basic audio,” standard maps and navigation and a center console with four USB ports, according to Tesla’s order site. 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Share your voice Tesla Model 3 barrels through the snow in Track Mode Sliding around in Teslas at the company’s Alaska proving… Now playing: Watch this: More From Roadshow 18 Electric Cars Car Industry 50 Photos During a conference call with media, Tesla CEO Elon Musk posited that someone ordering a $35,000 Model 3 on Thursday could expect to take delivery in June. Depending on how long it actually takes the entry-level Model 3 to come to market — Tesla has missed its goals before — it could mark a dramatic shift in the number of people who buy electric vehicles.Tesla also announced Thursday a plan to cease all retail sales of its vehicles; the company will move to an online-only platform. Musk told members of the press on a conference call that ditching its retail locations will represent a significant cost savings — and saving every penny will no doubt help as the $35,000 Model 3 comes to market. 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better Tesla Model 3 now available from $35,000 Tesla 1:34 Originally published at 2:06 p.m. PT.Updated at 3:23 p.m. PT: Adds new details about online-only sales. Comments Tags 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Now playing: Watch this: You’ll also only be able to buy the most basic car in black, unless you upgrade to premium paint, and the cheapest color option is $1,500.For an additional $2,000 you can have the “partial premium interior,” which gets you power-adjustable, heated front seats, different upholstery, upgraded audio, LED fog lights (though those aren’t inside the car, of course) and phone docking. This also upgrades you to the “standard range plus” car, priced at $37,000 before incentives, which has an estimated range of 240 miles.The “premium interior,” a $5,000 upgrade over the standard car, gets an internet browser, in-car music streaming, satellite-view maps with traffic information, heated front and rear seats and an even more powerful audio system. This environment is available on the $40,000, 264-mile “midrange” trim and the $43,000, 325-mile “long-range” version.
With Android P expected to release sometime in August, Google released the beta 4 version of Android P. Android P Beta 4 is the last preview before the official launch of Android P platform. Android P beta 4 consists of a release candidate build with updates to final system behaviors and official Android P APIs. Android P is the next major release after Android Oreo released last year in August. With the Beta 4 version of Android P, Google has provided “everything” that developers need to wrap up their testing. There are different devices such as Google Pixel phones, Oppo R15 pro, Sony Xperia XZ2, etc, on which you can run the latest Android P beta 4. Here’s a look at key features that Android P will include. The latest release is available for users who have enrolled themselves in the Android Beta program. Android Beta program is necessary to start testing the update which delivers over-the-air (OTA) updates to its user base. With all the APIs and system behavior updates in Beta 4, we might not see any major changes between Android P beta 4 version and the official stable version of Android P. Android P Beta 4, for now, is available for Google Pixel devices, namely, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, and Pixel 2 XL. Pixel users can get Beta 4 on their phone by using the Factory images and OTA files carrying build PPP5.180610.010 to install the latest Android P Beta on their devices instantly. If you don’t want to install the latest beta version on your Pixel device then there is a new version provided by Google for Android Emulator where you can test out Beta 4. For more information on Android P Beta 4, check out the official documentation. Read Next Top 5 Google I/O 2018 conference Day 1 Highlights: Android P, Android Things, ARCore, ML kit and Lighthouse Google updates biometric authentication for Android P, introduces BiometricPrompt API
Tags: Departures, VISIT FLORIDA << Previous PostNext Post >> VISIT FLORIDA’s Ken Lawson is leaving his role as CEO Share Tuesday, December 18, 2018 TALLAHASSEE — VISIT FLORIDA’s Ken Lawson is leaving his role as CEO in January to take over the reins of the state’s Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO).As the new Executive Director, Lawson will serve under Governor-elect Ron DeSantis’ administration, and is tasked with helping the state “continue to be an economic powerhouse” and “bringing new businesses to Florida and creating jobs for Floridians,” said DeSantis.As VISIT FLORIDA’s president and CEO, Lawson led Florida’s official destination marketing organization in partnership with its Board of Directors and the statewide tourism industry. According to DeSantis, while under Lawson’s leadership, the state was able to create more than 1.6 million private-sector jobs and set new visitation records.VISIT FLORIDA said it is just beginning a search for Lawson’s successor. An interim CEO has yet to be named.Lawson first joined VISIT FLORIDA in January 2017 following a unanimous vote of its Board of Directors. His appointment came after the resignation of three Visit Florida executives in the wake of the Pitbull scandal, which resulted in outgoing Governor Rick Scott calling for the resignation of Lawson’s predecessor, Will Seccombe. Travelweek Group Posted by