Topics : Beijing will see a “cliff-like” drop in new cases in the current coronavirus outbreak by the end of this week with efforts to control the spread of infections in the Chinese capital underway, said an expert at the national health authority.The city of over 20 million people reported its first case linked to a wholesale food center in the southwest of Beijing in the latest wave on June 11. So far, 236 people have been infected in the worst outbreak in Beijing since COVID-19 was identified at a seafood market in the central city of Wuhan late last year.Beijing reported on Monday nine new cases for June 21, sharply down from 22 a day earlier. “If you control the source, and cut the chain of transmission, the number will have a cliff-like drop,” Wu Hao, a disease control expert from the National Health Commission, told state television in an interview aired on Sunday night.Millions in Beijing have had their daily lives upended by the resurgence of the disease over the past 11 days, with some fearing the city is headed for a lockdown.Beijing is not headed for a “flood-like” lockdown, unlike early efforts in Wuhan when little was known about the virus, Wu said, adding lockdown procedures have been more targeted this time.To control the spread of the virus, Beijing has so far designated four neighborhoods as high-risk and 37 as medium-risk. In medium-risk neighborhoods, people can leave and enter, subject to temperature checks and registration, but apartment blocks with two confirmed cases or more are totally locked down. In high-risk neighborhoods, an entire residential compound is locked down if there is even one infection in the community.To identify carriers, Beijing has been conducting tests on what it deems as higher-risk groups such as restaurant workers and food and parcel couriers. Residents in some low-risk neighborhoods have also been tested. As of June 20, about 2.3 million people have been tested.”We’ve to live with the virus for the long term before a vaccine is available,” said Bill Yuan, 28, an IT worker.”There might be a few new infections all the time. If it [an outbreak] happens, we’ve to stay alert for a while and quarantine [the patients]. Then go back to work when it’s gone.”
Exactly one month after his first full England call-up Saido Berahino found himself relegated to a bit-part role as West Brom’s sluggish run of form continued in a tepid 0-0 draw against Hull at the KC Stadium. A ninth minute penalty miss from Graham Dorrans summed up another frustrating afternoon for the Baggies which Berahino – introduced for the final 18 minutes in place of Victor Anichebe – failed to salvage. If the result will do little to ease the pressure on their under-fire boss Alan Irvine, neither will it work wonders for Hull, who slid into the relegation zone after this stalemate which extended their own winless run to eight games. Stephen Quinn came closest for the Tigers when his flicked header from a Jake Livermore cross almost caught out visiting keeper Ben Foster in the 59th minute, but the sense of frustration soon returned. If a classic was never on the cards supporters of both sides at the KC Stadium might have expected more from a dismal first period in which the only shot on target from either side was Dorrans’ ninth minute penalty miss. The visitors had already been denied a third minute shout after Victor Anichebe fell under the challenge of Michael Dawson in the box, but referee Michael Oliver showed no hesitation shortly afterwards when the same player was pulled back by Livermore. Dorrans’ penalty was placed well enough but Hull keeper Allan McGregor guessed right to dive to his left and paw the ball clear to the delight of the Tigers fans behind his goal. Given the Baggies’ recent travails Bruce’s men could have been forgiven for ringing this date on the calendar as a golden opportunity to get their season back on track with three points. Not only had they emerged from their midweek trip to Everton with a creditable draw, but they had striker Abel Hernandez back to lead their front-line after missing the previous two games on paternity leave. But the sum total of their lightweight first half assault was a half-chance in the 22nd minute when David Meyler shrugged off the sleeping Sebastien Pocognoli and struck a shot towards goal which was blocked by Gareth McAuley in the box. Hull showed some signs of stirring after the break with Sone Aluko, given a rare start after coming off the bench to score his side’s equaliser at Goodison Park, scuffing a deflected shot wide before the hosts almost snatched the lead just before the hour mark. Livermore made ground down the right flank before crossing for Quinn whose flicked header from distance almost caught out Baggies keeper Foster, who had to drop low to his left to palm the ball out for a corner. Livermore caused problems again two minutes later when a spell of home pressure ended in the former Tottenham man tugging a low shot straight at Foster from 18 yards. The Baggies’ best chance came in the 72nd minute when Craig Gardner was fouled by Tom Huddlestone and from the resulting free-kick Gardner drew a rare save out of McGregor. Irvine had seen enough, immediately introducing Berahino, to the obvious pleasure of the visiting Baggies fans. But as with so many of Berahino’s recent performances since his call-up by Roy Hodgson for last month’s double-header against Slovenia and Scotland, he seemed curiously off the pace and never threatened McGregor in the home goal. Hernandez came close with a late header for Hull and Baggies sub Brown Ideye drew a save from McGregor, but the final whistle was greeted by predictable boos from fans of both sides. Press Association
Anthony Rendon, coming off a third-place finish in the NL MVP voting and a World Series title at only 29 years old, will cash in with a long-term, high-dollar contract this offseason. He’ll deserve every penny. But not every playoff contender with a need at third base is willing to pay the price it will take to land Rendon — even though, again, he’s worth it. For those teams looking for secondary options, Josh Donaldson is available. CardinalsWhy this makes sense: To be honest, it really doesn’t. The Cardinals have been connected to Donaldson, and he makes sense in a vacuum. But the reality is they already have two third-base options who won’t/can’t be moved: veteran Matt Carpenter and 2019 rookie phenom Tommy Edman. And even though Donaldson, who turns 34 in December and is coming off a 37-homer season, would be an upgrade, remember that the Cardinals just gave Carpenter a two-year extension last spring — when he was coming off a 36-homer year, heading into his Age 33 season — and that didn’t go well at all. The logjam at third, along with the hesitancy based on the Carpenter situation, is almost certainly enough to keep them out of the bidding. White SoxWhy this makes sense: The White Sox could shift Yoan Moncada from third base to second base — vastly upping their production from the position — and bring Donaldson in to play the hot corner. That would be a big upgrade, and having the intensely competitive Donaldson in the still-young Sox clubhouse could help the youngsters learn how to win. DodgersWhy this makes sense: Third base at Dodger Stadium has belong to Justin Turner for quite a while now, but he’s 35 and has only one year remaining on his current deal. If the Dodgers decide Donaldson is their ideal third baseman, Turner could play first or even second as the Dodgers shift pieces around to find the right mix. MORE: Seven potential landing spots for Stephen StrasburgAfter a couple of years with injury issues — he played a total of 165 games in 2017-18 — Donaldson signed a one-year deal with the Braves last offseason and was a star once again. He played 155 games, swatted 37 homers, posted a 127 OPS+ and a 6.1 bWAR in his Age 33 season. He’s proven he’s worth a multi-year deal, though at 33 it will likely be three or four years, maximum, not the seven or eight Rendon could get. Like Rendon, though, Donaldson does come with draft-pick compensation.So which teams are/should be interested? Let’s take a look. BravesWhy this makes sense: Donaldson was pretty much everything the Braves could have hoped for during his (so far) one-season stay with the club, and having him back in the middle of a dynamic lineup — and playing solid defense at third base — would be a big help in their push for a deeper run into October. They won’t be able to lure Donaldson back with another high-dollar one-year deal, though, and it’s a real question whether they’ll choose to spend a bunch of free-agent dollars on a reunion. RangersWhy this makes sense: The Rangers need a third baseman, after Cooperstown-bound Adrian Beltre’s retirement. But Donaldson’s going to be 34, and the Rangers might be a year or two away from legitimate playoff contention. They’d have to sell him on their rebuilding efforts being closer to fruition. PhilliesWhy this makes sense: Maikel Franco has been Philly’s primary third baseman the past four years, but he wasn’t good in 2019 — .234 average, 80 OPS+, minus-0.8 bWAR — and there’s very little chance he’ll be with the club when spring training rolls around. He’ll be traded or released. Even though the Phillies have other pressing needs this offseason — hi, elite free-agent pitchers! — Donaldson makes a lot of sense. At 34, he won’t command a deal longer than three years, which is reasonable. And based on what he did last year for the Braves — he hit six homers and had 16 RBIs in 18 games vs. Philly in 2019, btw — he’s clearly still an impact player at the plate and with the glove. NationalsWhy this makes sense: If the Nationals can’t work out a long-term deal to bring Anthony Rendon back to D.C., they could do much worse than a short-term deal with Donaldson. If Donaldson wants to find a new home quickly, though — remember, he signed with the Braves last offseason before the end of November — this might not work.