The Varsity Lady Bulldogs defeated the Jennings County Panthers last night in a HOT hard-fought battle in the dog pound. It took 5 sets but the Dogs came out on top in the end.It was a great win with contributions made on every level. The defense was led by senior Macy Prickel and freshman Laney Walsman. Kylie Laker was everywhere on the court contributing tough serves and leading the team in assists. Cayman Werner took over at the net with the help of Nikki Fox. It was great to have Kerigan back in action with some key blocks. Great team effort!The Lady Bulldogs will be back in action on Saturday at Milan for the Ripley County Tournament.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Kateri Paul.The Batesville Lady Bulldog JV Volleyball team has hit a bit of a rough patch this week with some injuries and inconsistent play. The team was defeated by Jennings County. Scores were 25-18, 25-14.In set one, Shelby Westerfeld served 8 straight points including 2 aces to get our team off to a great start only to have our own struggles with serve reception allow the Panthers to come back. With a couple of players fighting knee and leg injuries, the aggressive net play of Jennings County overwhelmed the home team’s defensive coverage. Faith Tekulve provided a spark in set two with 2 kills and a much-needed momentum spurt for the Lady Dogs.The team hopes to bounce back as they travel to Milan to compete in the Ripley County Tourney on Saturday. The JV’s record is 9-6 on the season. Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Shelly Prickel.
Officials in Miami are currently on the scene of a reported at a restaurant in Miami.The shooting was reported at Frankie’s Pizza at 9118 Bird Road.Not much is known about the incident at this time, however, the Miami-Herald is reporting that at least one person was shot in the restaurant’s parking lot and at least one other was injured.It is unclear if the two injured were shooting at each other or if there were others involved.A Miami-Dade police spokesperson told reporters that they are currently on their way to the scene and will provide details on the incident once they are available.This is a developing story.
Florence, May 15: The Italian football federation FIGC on Tuesday unveiled Roberto Mancini as the men’s team’s head coach who will be tasked with revamping the national squad after the World Cup qualification disaster. The former Inter Milan and Manchester City coach, who played for Italy 36 times, left his post at Zenit FC last week to take up the position vacated by Gian Piero Ventura, under whom four-time world champions Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1958.“To coach the national team is a reason to be proud for anyone. I think that it’s the right moment for me. It’s a difficult time and there’s a lot to do,” 53-year-old Mancini said at the press conference, as reported by FIGC’s Twitter handle. “I’m emotional. I thank the @FIGC for putting their trust in me. I’m proud of this moment, I first set foot at Coverciano (Italy’s technical headquarters for football) in 1978. To come back as the head coach is special,” he added.Mancini was optimistic that Italy still boasts of talented players who can help the side get back to being reckoned as a force. IANS
Incheon: South Korea’s under-23 national football team players returned to a heroes’ welcome on Monday after winning the gold medal at the 18th Asian Games in Indonesia.The 20-player team, led by head coach Kim Hak-bum, received a warm welcome from hundreds of fans at Incheon International Airport. The players and coaching staff took a group photo with their gold medals before they disbanded, reports Yonhap news agency.South Korea defeated Japan 2-1 in extra time to claim their Asiad men’s football title. Lee Seung-woo and Hwang Hee-chan scored a goal apiece at Pakansari Stadium in Cibinong, south of Jakarta.”We earned a good result because of our players’ hard-working effort,” Kim said. “We want to thank our football fans for supporting us.”Three wild-card members — Son Heung-min, Hwang Ui-jo and Jo Hyeon-woo — were pivotal for South Korea’s gold medal run. Son was the captain of the team, while Hwang finished the Asian Games as the top scorer with nine goals. Jo conceded only two goals in the five matches he played.”The three players did more than what they were supposed to do,” Kim said. “They really lead their young teammates well.”With the gold medal, the 20 players are now exempt from their compulsory military service that is about two years long. They can now take a basic four-week training program for the service.Among the Asian Games members, eight players will have to continue their international duty as they also received a call-up from the senior national team. IANS
(BBC) – Manchester United produced a lacklustre display as their Europa League campaign began in defeat at Feyenoord.Jose Mourinho made eight changes from the team beaten by Manchester City and an Anthony Martial shot going wide was their only first-half chance.Zlatan Ibrahimovic came on for the visitors and headed wide as he failed to turn around his side’s fortunes.Instead, Nicolai Jorgensen, who was offside, crossed for Tonny Vilhena to drive in Feyenoord’s late winner.Ibrahimovic went close to an equaliser with a drilled free-kick but it was saved at the second attempt by former Liverpool keeper Brad Jones.The defeat means United have lost four successive European away games in a row for the first time.
AMERICAN sprint star Justin Gatlin admits he is looking forward to one last showdown with world’s fastest man Usain Bolt at this summer’s London World Championships.The meet is expected to be the last major championship of the decorated 30-year-old Bolt, who has announced that he will be retiring from the sport at the end of this season.The 35-year-old Gatlin, who has been Bolt’s closest rival for the last several seasons, ensured that he is on course to at least remain a part of the spectacle following a 100m win at United States Trials on Saturday.The sprinter clocked 9.95 seconds to claim the top spot, in the process getting the better of young collegiate star Christian Coleman (9.98) the pre-race favourite for many heading into the final.Now on the horizon for Gatlin, who finished second behind Bolt at the 2013 and 2015 Worlds and 2016 Olympics, is another chance to test the mettle of the Jamaican.“It’s going to be a changing of an era,” Gatlin told Reuters. “We are going to be looking at a person who came along and made his mark and who has not only excited the crowds but he has made history over and over.”“I always wanted to battle with the guys with the records,” the American said.“When I came back into the sport, my goal was to be…I said to myself ‘I just want to be shoulder to shoulder with him’,” Gatlin told reporters at the U.S. nationals/world trials.“It was just total respect for how fast he is, the competition he brings.”
DUBBED the ‘Prime Minister’s Cup’, the Guyana Primer Softball Cup is billed for October 27, 28 and 29, according to information received from the organising committee.It was also revealed that the three-day tournament is being held in collaboration with the Georgetown Softball Cricket League (GSCL), the National Sports Commission (NSC) and the Department of Culture, Youth and Sport.Aimed at attracting 16 teams, eight each in the Masters and All Stars categories, a member of the organising committee informed Chronicle Sport that the first 16 teams to register will participate in the tournament.Players must be over the age of 45 in order to play in the Masters category, while the All Stars format is open to all ages.It was also disclosed that at least two teams from the United States of America have already confirmed their participation.Prime Minister Moses NagamootooThe Over-45 category will make the champions $500 000 richer while in the All Stars category the winning team will collect $600 000.The proposed venues are the Demerara Cricket Club (DCC), Everest Cricket Club, Gandhi Youth Organisation (GYO), Police and GNIC.Teams registering for the Over-45 category must submit photo identification, preferably valid passports for every member of their 15-man squad.Registration will be done through Samuel Kingston on 619-5103.The official launch of the tournament is set for August 25. … 3-day tournament dubbed ‘Prime Minister’s Cup’
SENSATIONAL fifties from Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers overshadowed Chris Gayle’s unbeaten 99 as Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) finally snapped a six-match losing streak this IPL season with an eight-wicket win over Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) in Mohali yesterday.Kohli (67) in company of AB de Villiers (59 not out) scripted a superb run-chase, sharing an 85-run stand to lay the foundation.The India skipper blasted eight boundaries, while de Villiers clobbered two sixes and five hits across the rope in his 38-ball innings.Invited to bat, dashing West Indies opener Chris Gayle (99) carried his bat through with an unbeaten 99, studded with five sixes and as many as 10 hits to the fence to single-handedly anchor Punjab to 173 for four.Kohli and de Villiers then did the bulk of the scoring and once the skipper was dismissed in the 16th over, Marcus Stoinis (28 off 16) played a crucial cameo to take the team through with four balls to spare.With this victory, RCB also avoided the ignominy of most successive losses for a team at the start of an IPL season. FLYING STARTChasing 174 to win, Parthiv Patel and Kohli gave RCB a flying start, amassing 43 off 23 balls but the left-handed opener was caught by Mayank Agarwal off R Ashwin in the 4th over.de Villiers and Kohli then took the bowlers to the cleaners, picking up boundaries at will, as RCB brought up the 100 in the 12th over.Kohli completed his second fifty of this IPL season in 37 balls but runs dried up a bit in the middle with M. Ashwin (24/0) and Andrew Tye (4-40) bowling a tight over each.Mohammad Shami then gave Punjab a glimmer of hope when he dismissed Kohli, who pulled one straight to M. Ashwin as RCB slipped to 128 for two.But Marcus Stoinis and de Villiers ensured there were no hiccups, sharing 46 runs, as RCB romped home comfortably in the end. GAYLE MAGICEarlier, Gayle stitched a 66-run opening stand off 38 balls with KL Rahul (18) and kept the scoreboard ticking even though he lost partners on the other end.RCB could have dismissed Gayle in the first over itself when he was hit on the leg by Umesh Yadav but Virat Kohli didn’t go for a DRS and the West Indian escaped.Gayle made RCB pay for the mistake as he hit a four and six off Umesh’s next over, before Rahul joined the party and smashed a couple of fours off the India pacer in his third over.In the sixth over, Gayle exploded as he welcomed Mohammad Siraj with a four at long off and followed it up with a six over long-on and another boundary across cover.He then pulled another one over square leg before sending the ball across the fine leg as KXIP amassed 24 runs to end the powerplay at 60 for no loss.Chahal was then introduced into the attack and Rahul lifted him over long-on for a maximum but the spinner had him stumped in the next delivery to produce a crucial breakthrough.Mayank Agarwal then joined Gayle, who completed his fifty in 28 balls.Agarwal smashed Chahal over extra cover for a six but the spinner cleaned him up in the next delivery as Punjab slumped to 86 for two.Sarfaraz Khan (15) and Gayle then took Punjab across the 100-mark before the former was caught behind off Siraj’s delivery.Sam Curran (1) too couldn’t stay long and was removed by Moeen Ali as Punjab slipped to 114 for four in 14th over.Mandeep Singh (18) and Gayle then provided the late charge, scoring 60 off 37 balls.Gayle, who has six tons to his name, needed 10 runs in the last over to complete another century but he fell short by just one run despite hitting the last ball for another four.
Valeria Salazar ran to the corner of the baseline and hit a return that bounced off the net and back onto her side of the court. She put her head into her hands and let out a screech. Throughout the rest of the meet, similar sounds of despair came from Syracuse players.The reactions summarized what would be No. 62 Syracuse’s (7-1, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) first loss of the year, a 5-2 loss to No. 9 Virginia (5-3, 2-0). Gabriela Knutson and Salazar struck first, winning No. 1 doubles 6-1. But that would be the only taste of victory for the Orange in doubles, as SU’s other doubles teams both faltered after building up early leads.Singles followed a similar path for the Orange, as the team only prevailed in two matches. Knutson and Dina Hegab both won their matches, as they remain undefeated in all of the singles play this year. However, the most notable losses came from No. 1 singles in Anna Shkudun and No. 2 singles Salazar, ultimately erasing the Orange’s perfect season.“I thought I played a great first game, but then I was on-and-off. I try to have a short memory and brush it off,” Salazar said. “I felt pressured because my opponent was always attacking. That pressure to hit good shots made me miss balls I regularly don’t miss.”Shkudun struggled early in the match, as she took on the No. 2 singles player in the country Danielle Collins. Shkudun was running up and down the baseline, letting out grunts with each return. However, each return by Shkudun was met with an even better placed ball by Collins. While Shkudun did squeak out a game in both sets, she eventually fell to Collins 1-6, 1-6.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textUnlike the quick win by Virginia in No. 1 singles, Salazar battled back against No.15 ranked Julia Elbaba. Falling in the first set, Salazar made changes to her game to throw off her opponent.“(Valeria) started using the slice a little bit more and giving Elbaba a different look because she really liked to take control of the rallies and take the ball a little bit sooner,” head coach Younes Limam said. “Valeria did a good job of getting the ball out of her strike zone in the second set.”Salazar battled in the second set, using a mixture of forehands and backhands to make her opponent run more. However, Elbaba was there for each hit, and while Salazar did tie up the set 3-3, there were many times where her returns landed in the alley or off the net. After losing the game and falling behind 4-3, Salazar walked to the sideline to associate head coach Shelley George, who was there to calm her down.“I was just trying to get her to focus on the present,” George said. “She needs to play the point in front of her and not bring up a miss that she may have had.”While Salazar was unsuccessful at upsetting Elbaba, she did battle back. Her and Shkudun weren’t the only two that fell in singles play, as Libi Mesh and Maria Tritou fell in the team’s Nos. 4 and 5 singles.The loss of No. 1 and No. 2 singles proved to be crucial in Syracuse’s loss against two of the top 15 singles players in the country. It was a tall task, and one that put a hitch in what as been a near flawless start to the season.“I think we came with a purpose,” Limam said. “We took it to them in a way most of the match. The last couple points later in the match made the difference.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 21, 2016 at 5:51 pm Contact Charlie: firstname.lastname@example.org | @charliedisturco
While the highlight of this evening’s action sees two Dutch heavyweights with 6 World championships between them – Michael van Gerwen and Raymond van Barneveld – go head to head. Mervyn King faces Jelle Klassen for the right to face Phil Taylor in round three. “The Power” was a 4-1 victor over Kevin “The Artist” Painter at Alexandra Palace last nightWorld number two Gary Anderson takes on Dutchman Vincent van der Voort.